There’s a recent post regarding a blogger being asked to release his domain, visa.com.my which he claims that he owned the domain for the past 3 years. In his posting, he asked for advise and suggestion from other fellow bloggers. There’s quite alot of comments being posted out and I’ve noticed a few other bloggers had posted this issue into attention…including this.
As much as I share the dismay and discomfort of ever getting into a legal dispute, here’s my advise to the owner.
GIVE IT UP! And save yourself from trouble.
1) VISA International is BIG. But his gut for registering this domain is even BIGGER. Not a good idea!
2) VISA is an International Trademark. Their trademark is on almost all major credit cards in the world. Unless he runs a similar business here in Malaysia… VISA Credit Co.?? hallo halloo…ah long ah?
He also quoted:
1. Visa International Service Association has registered the domain name (www.visa.com.my) before I registered it. It was not renewed by them, hence I registered it through normal channel.
2. Can a common dictionary word be used exclusively by a company?
3. I’ve been owning the domain for the past 3 years.
So what’s your opinion? If you were me, what would you do? I appreciate any help and advice. You can vote here too.
By the way, the idea of registering visa.com.my is not to resell it for a higher price (or known as cybersquatting). I would have done so from the begining if that’s my intention.
Seriously, I do share his grief of having to let go a domain which he already spent RM300 for renewals but I’m quite annoyed of his ideology of no intention to sell the domain for higher price.
C’mon, is he taking us for a fool? If he has no intention on the domain…why would he check on the availibity of the domain at the first place? Why the patience to wait and register the domain after it was expired? Think about it!
As for the owner, I suggest not even to ask for any compensation, it’s not a good idea. You might really end up in a legal dispute.
To the owner, my sympathies go out to you. Oh ya btw, www.mastercard.com.my is registered. I’m sure you knew about it 3 years back ;)